Telephone: 07870 167 974
Jinga Communities is the South West’s training provider of capoeira, the expressive Brazilian art form which blends music and dance and gameplay. Perfect for PE, dance, drama and music, capoeira improves confidence, social skills, fitness and rhythm. Jinga Communities delivers a range of structured workshops, courses and seminars tailored to specific curriculum and Key Stage requirements to schools and colleges throughout the South West.
‘We loved the multi-cultural aspect and the teamwork; it also engaged children of a wide range of age and gender. Boys particularly enjoyed this form of dance much giving more children a new opportunity to succeed in PE.’ - Headteacher Ann Force, Kennall Vale School, Ponsanooth, Cornwall.
‘The use of music, movement and non contact martial arts engaged all the children. Everybody, staff and children, enjoyed the multi cultural experience which provided a superb natural link with our topic on the rainforest.’ - Headteacher Pat Fewings, South Molton Infant School, North Devon.
A workshop which mixes Afro-Brazilian dance with music and foreign language (Brazilian Portuguese).
Children learn about other cultures and language through song and rhythm as well as getting active through group and partner dance choreography and non-contact, communicative martial arts.
Jinga workshops are based around the Afro-Brazilian tribal art forms of Capoeira, Maculele & Samba.
- Group & partner dance choreography – based on Capoeira, Maculele, Breakdance and Samba, incorporating non-contact, communicative martial arts and dance choreography.
- Language/music - call and response singing in Brazilian Portuguese; rhythm, clapping & African percussion
- Acrobatic display and cultural talk on Brazil’s culture and history through Portugal and Africa. This element can be delivered during whole-school assembly if desired.
- Movement games - incorporating controlled animal movements on the ground (building upper body strength and coordination)
- Raises aspirations, confidence and communication skills
- Improves global awareness and knowledge of the arts
- Links with other subjects (PE, dance, music, history, geography, PSHE)
- Offers accessible route for boys into dance & alternative PE for ‘non-sporty’ children
- Inclusive regardless of any special needs
- Promotes individual expression, health, fitness & wellbeing
Off-timetable days & projects
- Curriculum Enrichment
- Global Awareness
- Activity Week
- Projects on Brazil or Africa
- Amazon Rainforest
- Energy & environment/sustainability
- African percussion*
*Percussion workshops also available (please ask for details).
The choreography and workshop structure has been developed by Craig Blackburn, qualified fitness coach and dance instructor who is fluent in Brazilian Portuguese. Craig Blackburn is fully insured, First Aid-trained; holds valid insurance; CRB enhanced disclosure and has undergone Local Safeguarding Children’s Board training.
Share this page: