Smarty Paints are a fun and creative pottery painting studio in Wandsworth, South London. Pottery painting has been an art form since Ancient Greece and they enthusiastically continue this wonderful creative expression. Smarty Paints love people painting whether young or old and believe that everyone has artistic ability; they just need the encouragement and chance to discover it.
“Our Year 6 children had the most fabulous time at Smarty Paints celebrating the end of their 11+ exams. They loved designing and painting a commemorative plate to celebrate the wonderful time they have had at Finton House. I know that they will treasure their plates and can't thank Smarty Paints enough for all their kindness and assistance during the time we spent with them. I'm already looking forward to next year's trip.” Karol-An Kirkman, Finton House
Pottery painting is fun and easy but is also challenging because you are painting a 3D object and the technique to painting pottery is different from ordinary painting. It is exciting to get the pottery back after the glazing and firing process which makes the colours more vibrant and the surface smooth; quite different to what is seen when painting. Each painted item is unique and will keep forever.
The paint used is a non-toxic pottery paint, which is totally safe. The glaze is unleaded. All pottery is totally useable whether it is a plate, tile or any of the other 100 items. Pottery is left to glaze and fire and ready to collect one week later.
Visit us – School visits to the Smarty Paints studio are very popular as a way to broaden any curriculum project or topic or just for fun.
Workshops at the studio include:
• Introduction to painting pottery.
• Painting a pottery item of your choice.
• Tour of the glazing and kiln area.
• Cold drinks for children, hot drinks for the teachers
The studio is near both Wandsworth and Clapham Common, which provide an ideal place to get some fresh air or have your packed lunch after the painting session. Packed lunch can also be taken at the studio.
Some examples of how some schools have enjoyed Smarty Paints workshops:
• Finton House School Yr6, painted plates with the school’s emblem as a leaver’s memento.
• Northcote Lodge School Yr3-Yr6, painted Halloween items as a reward activity with their tutor group.
• St Helens Primary School Yr6, painted tea plates for Art Week British artists theme.
• Cambridge House Disability Services Yr3-Adults, painted tiles as an activity within their Summer Activity Programme
Visiting you – Smarty Paints can take pottery painting into your classroom. You just need to provide tables, chairs and water! The paint does not stain and washes off surfaces and clothes very easily.
- Promotes creativity
- Useable pottery
- Key Stage 1 – 4, Adults, Disability
- Groups up to 30
- CRB checked
- Full Public Liability Insurance
Share this page: